The trainers at BioSport have a broad range of expertise from golf fitness, exercise and aging, boxing, fat loss, to post-rehab.
You will exercise in a low key, non-intimidating environment. We will design and implement an exercise program based on your goals, age and injury history. Call 203 661 8330 to schedule an appointment.
One (1) sessionPackage
Ten (10) sessionsPackage
Twenty (20) sessionsPackage
Nutrition & Fat Loss
Most of us at some point in our lives have tried to lose a few pounds, maybe its 5lbs or maybe its 25lbs or more. We are bombarded daily with ways to lose weight, either through some new exercise routine that will sculpt your abs in 6 minutes a day or some new diet that promises quick weight loss results. The reality is that these approaches don’t work and are not sustainable.
There are certain fundamentals that you have to get right or you will always be fighting an uphill battle with losing fat. The great thing about these strategies is that they are free. You don’t need to buy the DVD or sign up for any meals or shakes to be delivered monthly!
- Manage insulin – Limit your intake of sugar and processed carbohydrates. When these are consumed, especially in excess, blood glucose goes up. The body will release insulin(a hormone) to decrease blood glucose and keep it at a normal level. If insulin is constantly elevated it causes the body to store fat. Insulin is a fat storage hormone.
- Intermittent Fasting or Time Restricted Eating (TRE) – Try to limit your eating window to 8-10 hours per day. If you have breakfast at 8am then your last meal should be eaten by 6pm or earlier if you can. You can do this daily or multiple days per week. This is a very powerful strategy for fat loss.
- Exercise – Build muscle! Emphasize strength training, focusing on the large muscle groups. As the saying goes – muscle mass matters. The more you have the better. Strength train 2-3 times per week.
- Cold Exposure or Cold Thermogenesis – Take a cold shower daily. Cold exposure activates your BAT (Brown Adipose Tissue) which is highly concentrated in your upper back, shoulder area and upper chest. If you are not used to cold showers start off with just 10 seconds and build you way up to 2 minutes over several weeks. Regular cold exposure can contribute to several pounds of fat loss over the course of a year.
- Quality sleep – Adequate sleep helps to regulate your blood glucose/insulin response. You will also make better food choices when well rested. When we are tired we typically eat high sugar foods to make us feel better.
Thoughts on Nutrition
Eat until you are 80% full. It takes about 20 minutes for the body to signal to your brain that you have eaten enough.
- Focus on nutrient-dense foods – eat real food.
- Start the day with a glass of water! You can squeeze a lemon/lime into the water and add a pinch of high quality sea salt.
- Try to include protein in your breakfast – helps to manage blood sugar/hunger throughout the day.
- Eat lean protein – organic grass fed beef, pasture raised eggs, milk/cheese from grass fed cows – hormone free.
- Use real butter from grass fed cows – not margarine.
- Eat plenty of vegetables – lots of color – use olive oil or avocado oil as dressing (2 tsp).
- Eat moderate amounts of low sugar fruits – 2-3 servings/day – lots of color.
- Include healthy fats – wild caught fish, olive oil, coconut oil, flax seed, nuts, and seeds.
- Use caffeine in moderation – 2-3 cups of coffee per day seems reasonable.
- Get your fiber primarily from fruits, vegetables, oats, oat bran, nuts, seeds.
- Use spices regularly – cinnamon, garlic, cayenne pepper, turmeric, ginger.
- Get your probiotics through food if possible. Good sources are Yogurt, Kefir, Lassi, Kombucha, and Kimchi. Gut health is directly linked to your immune system!!
- Get your Vitamin D levels checked especially if you don’t get much sun or you live in the North-East. May need to supplement if low.
- Use coconut oil, olive oil or ghee for frying instead of processed seed oils.
- Use Stevia if you need to use some kind of sweetener.